* It is GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) based technology.
* First step towards the digital wireless communication over existing analog mobile communication.
* Introduced in 1991.
* SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) is introduced in this technology.
* TDMA (Time Division ultiple Access) and FDMA (Frequency Division Multiple Access) are used allow multiple subscribers to make calls simultaneously.
* Bands are used to distribute frequencies like GSM 900 and GSM 1800 (DCS).
* Accordingly bandwidth is allotted.
* Compatible with the IMT (International Mobile Telecommunications-2000) specifications for multimedia supporting.
* Provide support for applications like video calls, high speed internet, multimedia applications, video streaming, video conferencing, and location based services
* These all applications can be used in phones itself.
* Use WCDMA multiplexing to encourage the proper distribution of bandwidths to subscribers.
Difference in terms of speed :
GSM(2G) data rate is 200 - 300 Kbps
3G data rate is more than 2Mbps (Much faster)
Difference in terms of telecommunication services:
GSM(2G) can provide voice communication and Video communication using GPRS.
3G can provide High speed video communication, High speed Internet, Video streaming, Video Conferencing etc.
Internet and GPRS are just services provided by both technologies only difference is 3G provides in a faster and more secure way.
* 3G is far more secure than 2G